A Travellerspoint blog

Lima, Peru - Friday, 10 April 2015

Tour ends. Fly to Santiago.

Alarm at 5.30 am, into breakfast at 6.15 am and down in the foyer at 7.50 am for our transfer to the airport.  Some of our group were there to wave us goodbye.  The trip to the airport only took 30 minutes and check in, security and immigration went off without a hitch.  We were accompanied by Ulysses.  At check in we were told that our flight would be delayed by one hour due to bad weather somewhere.  At least we had a gate number.

We were sitting at our gate with absolutely hours to spare, when "the gang" came wandering by so we yelled and waved and they came over and sat with us for a few hours.  It was nice to be able to spend more time with them as we are starting fo have withdrawal symptoms!


Their gate was finally announced, so off they went for the next leg of their journey to Iguazu Falls.  So we are alone again!

Such a lot of time is wasted sitting around airports waiting for planes!

We boarded at about 12.40 pm and just couldn't believe our eyes.  We are in this magnificent LAN plane, a 787, a dreamliner and we are in Seats 1A and 1C.  The space is huge.  I now wish we were flying to Australia with LAN.  Our Qantas Premium Economy seats won't be as grand!


Also there is hardly any noise in the cabin and the air is humidified to prevent passengers "drying out"! They have thought of everything.
We were given nuts and a Pisco Sour and a little while after we had taken off, the windows in the plane turned blue, to filter the outside light.  How wonderful but I fear it will distort the colour of my photos of the Andes when we pass over them.


Then I realised I could adjust the colour of the windows.  There are also no window shades.  This is a very modern plane, but for the benefit of my previous travelling companions - THERE IS NO SPA BATH!

Had a lovely lunch of ricotta ravioli and cheese cake.


The flight was over all too soon and then the drama began. No bags!!  After several conversations with airport staff, it seems that the dopey girl at Lima had booked our bags all the way through to Sydney, despite only giving us a boarding pass for Santiago.  So, armed with our luggage tickets and a description of our bags, he went into the hold and retrieved our bags.  Lucky for us that the plane was on the ground for 5 hours before taking off for Sydney.

I was worried that our transfer would leave, thinking we weren't on the plane, but sent a message out to him via other passengers and airport staff that we would be there as soon as we could.  This is the first time this has ever happened to us in all our years of travel.

We also had to pay $117USD each reprocosity fee on leaving the airport, even though we are sort of in transit, but we left the airport.  Only Australians and Mexicans have to pay this but Mexicans only pay $23USD.

The Intercontinental Hotel is very nice.  We are on the third floor which gives us free access to the Club for "happy hour" which is on from 5 to 10 pm.  We only needed a little snack after our meal on the plane.


Posted by gaddingabout 22:54 Archived in Peru

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint